Coffee is one of the favourite drink because of its ability to keep you prepared to face the world. You might like your coffee strong, may be with less sugar or less milk but it still going to benefit you. The main compound for all the benefits is caffeine which keeps many lifestyle disorder at bay.
Different nutrients present coffee which are responsible for its benefits are as follows:
1. Caffeine: Coffee is a rich source of caffeine which works as nervous system stimulator and keeps your mind alert with improved focus and concentration. When taken in moderation it can also helps in reducing risk of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and improve brain and heart health.
2. Cafestol and kaweol: These compounds are are seems to increase serum total and LDL cholesterol which known to be “bad” cholesterol for health. This is observed that brewing method was critical for the absence or presence of these compounds as Scandinavian boiled coffee, Turkish coffee, and French press (cafetiere) coffee contain relatively high levels of cafestol and kahweol (6-12 mg/cup), while filtered coffee, percolated coffee, and instant coffee contain low levels of cafestol and kahweol (0.2-0.6 mg/cup).
3. Chlorogenic Acid: Coffee represents the richest dietary source of chlorogenic acids and cinnamic acids (caffeic acid) which is mostly absorbed through intestine. About two-thirds of ingested chlorogenic acid reaches the colon where it may be metabolised by the colonic microflora. In the colon, chlorogenic acid is likely hydrolysed to caffein acid and quince acid.
4.Micronutrients: Several micronutrients found in coffee, including magnesium, potassium, niacin and vitamin E which add on to the health and well being. These micro nutrients contributes to the improved energy production and metabolism.
Potential health benefits of coffee consumption are as follows:
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Improved Glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity
- Prevention of Parkinson’s Disease
- Prevention of Colorectal Cancer
- Improved cognitive functioning
- Improved metabolism and energy production
- Helps in elevating happy hormone
Apart from these mentioned benefits, excessive consumption can lead to different health risk like hypertension, impaired iron and zinc absorption. Also, your body can develop tolerance against the caffeine which means you need to get higher amount of coffee to get the same benefits which can develop side effects on longer run. Therefore, maintain the moderation in consumption of coffee in your daily routine to maximise the benefits and eliminate side effects.