Liver is an organ in human body that take cares of detoxification of various metabolites in the body and produce various chemicals important for digestion. Liver is the only organ in body which have the ability to regenerate its cell and to reduce the damage done. However, many people don’t get the symptoms of liver disorder until its too late. Therefore, its always recommended to take Liver Functioning Test (LFT) atleast once in 6 months to know the right status.
Liver is associated with many functions important for a healthy metabolism and a healthy body which includes following:
- Cholesterol Balance: Liver utilise cholesterol to produce bile juice which is important for healthy digestion. Liver take care of balance between dietary dietary cholesterol and cholesterol produced by body.
- Glycogen stores: Glycogen is reserved store of carbohydrates which can be utilised for energy in cases of starvation or during any high intensity activity. A healthy liver can store up to 87 to 100 gm which can be utilised whenever energy is required.
- Blood Flow: Liver plays an important role in maintaining blood flow in human body through different organs. Heart, liver and kidney works in synchronisation to balance the oxygenated and deoxygenated blood in body to keep the supply of oxygen optimum.
- Maintain Hormonal Balance: Liver is the place where majority of hormones are produce to keep the functioning normal in body. For example, insulin and glucagon are the hormone which work in synchronisation to balance the serum sugar levels.
- Storage House: Liver store many micronutrients which can be utilised further whenever required in body for energy metabolism or any other function. This include vitamin A, glycogen and many other micro nutrients.
To maintain these bodily functions it is important to keep a check on your diet. However, there is no magical food which can keep your liver healthy but including healthy and balanced diet plays a major role. Following are some food options which should be focussed on including in diet to keep your system healthy.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are good source of fibre, magnesium, zinc and antioxidants including vitamin E which helps in improving immunity and protect liver from any free radical damage. Anyone can add nuts and seeds in between meals as a snacking option in form of trail mix which can include nuts and seeds depending upon choice and availability.
- Fruits: Fruits are rich source of fibre and antioxidants including Vitamin C, Vitamin E and much more which improves the immunity and help liver in scavenging free radicals. Adding seasonal fruits in your daily routine supply required micro nutrients for healthy liver.
- Coffee: Coffee in moderate quantity helps liver with its antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties which reduces the chances of fatty liver and cirrhosis. This also helps liver in increasing the level of antioxidant glutathione.
- Berries: Berries like cranberries and blueberries are rich in antioxidants including anthocyanin which gives berries their respective colour. They protect liver from any damage like development of lesion and fibrosis. There berries can be included with other fruits in diet to get the maximum benefits.
- Beetroot: Beetroot is the source of nitrites and antioxidants which helps body to build better immunity and protect liver from free radical damage. The nitrite content in beetroot can improve the blood flow in body and have detoxification properties as well.
- Fresh Vegetables: Vegetables are good source of fibre in diet which keeps the gut healthy by improving gut bacteria’s health. This also improves the liver enzyme levels and decrease the oxidative stress which helps liver to maintain its health.
- Seafood: Sea food specially fatty fish contain high amount of omega-3 fatty acid which have anti inflammatory properties and known to be good for overall health and well being. The important point to keep in check is the ratio of omega-3 fatty acid to omega-6 fatty acids in diet.
Eating healthy with some form of physical activity is important for overall health and well being. Also, focus on including above mention food to keep the benefits maximum.