Matcha green tea is one of the popular and traditionally consumed green tea due to its potential health benefits. This tea originated in Japan and is derived from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. Matcha green tea has been considered as the powerhouse of antioxidants.
Let us discuss some of the reasons why matcha green tea is among the favourite lists of many.
1. Rich in antioxidants - Matcha green tea is packed with antioxidants and it is multiple times that of a regular green tea. The antioxidants are present in the form of catechins which work amazingly in our body to fight free radicals and oxidative stress. They are anti-cancerous and fight the hazardous effects of UV rays, chemicals, environmental toxins, etc.
2. Boosts metabolism - Matcha green tea also boosts metabolism and promotes weight loss. It increases our body’s ability to burn fat and increase energy expenditure. Thus, if you are targeting to shed some kilos then matcha green tea may be an excellent option to choose.
3. Aids in detoxification - Matcha green tea supports our liver health by eliminating toxins from our body. It helps in detoxification due to the presence of chlorophyll which removes heavy metals and chemicals from our body.
4. Boosts cognitive functioning - Another wonderful benefit of this tea is to boost brain health. Due to the presence of theanine, matcha green tea has been shown to enhance mental alertness and memory. Theanine is an amino acid that keeps us relaxed, calm and reduces stress levels. It promotes the synthesis of serotonin in our body which acts as a stress buster.
5. Fights cancer - As already discussed, matcha tea is loaded with an antioxidant called catechin EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate). Studies have revealed that EGCG has strong anti-cancer properties. They prevent the growth of cancerous cells and fight chemicals, toxins that could cause in later stages.
6. Promotes a healthy heart - Matcha green tea supports our heart health by promoting the levels of HDL in our body. It prevents LDL or “bad” cholesterol levels from rising and hence the build-up of plaque. This reduces the likelihood of developing cardiovascular disorders. Therefore, matcha green tea is also suitable for people with altered blood cholesterol profile to promote healthy heart functioning.
Hence, matcha green tea is a superb beverage to opt for. It promotes overall well-being by keeping our organs like the heart, brain and liver safe. Matcha green tea also comes with the benefits of nutrients like vitamin C, selenium, magnesium, zinc and chromium. It can easily be included in the diet. Apart from tea, you can also use matcha green tea powder to prepare delicious shakes, smoothies, cakes, puddings, matcha latte, ice creams, etc. To reap the benefits, choose a certified organic version.