Fish oils are considered to be a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids which play an important role in brain and heart health. These omega 3 fatty acids can be consumed if you directly consume fish but if you are not a fish eater supplementation can help you to get this important nutrient.
Fish oil contains 2 types of omega-3 fatty acids: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). A vegetarian source of EPA is ALA (Alpha-Linolenic Acid) which can be found in walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds and other nuts. However, the efficiency of the conversion of ALA to EPA is much lower than the absorption of EPA from food containing it. Medical conditions specifically related to diabetes and allergies lower the body’s capacity to convert ALA to EPA. Hence, if you don’t consume fish on a regular basis you can get this much-required nutrient by supplementing from fish oil capsules.
Fish oil supplements provide many benefits because one main reason that our diet is much rich in omega-6 is because of the presence of a variety of oils. Hence, it helps in balancing the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids in the diet for health. According to the American Heart Association recommends 1g daily for overall health and well being. Different benefits of adding fish oil to diet are as follows:
1. Reduce Triglycerides: Fish oil contains omega 3 fatty acids which are considered to be good fatty acids for the body. This helps in reducing total triglycerides from the body that improves the lipid profile and cholesterol content.
2. Heart Health: Fish oil seems to benefit heart health by its anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that fish oil consumption improves blood flow which helps in keeping the heart healthy and avoid different heart-related disorders.
3. Brain Health: Omega 3 fatty acid works as a stimulant for the brain which improves focus and concentration. Fish oil supplementation has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which keep the brain healthy.
4. Joint Pain: It has been seen the relationship between joint pain relief and fish oil supplementation but is not scientifically proven yet. Few studies have been done in this respect but more reasoning needs to be done before getting a conclusion.
5. Bone Health: As we grow older our bone density starts depleting and specifically women who are entering menopausal years can see the symptoms of osteoporosis. Supplementing fish oil can support bone health by maintaining bone density.
6. Enhanced Happy Hormones: Higher stress levels are associated with different hormonal imbalance disorders like anxiety and depression. Fish oil contains healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids that support the production of serotonin that is a feel-good hormone in the body.
You can always include fish as a part of your diet in your daily routine but supplementing fish oil capsules can also provide you with health benefits. To avoid “fish-burps” have fish oil capsules with any of the meals in a day.