As the name says it is extracted from grape seeds. Recently grape seed extract has gained popularity due to its potential health benefits. The grape seed extract is rich in antioxidants and other plant compounds which exert numerous benefits on our health.
Let us discuss some of the reasons why grape seed extract is beneficial for us.
1. Good for lowering high blood pressure - Studies indicate that consuming grape seed extract is beneficial for people suffering from hypertension. It has been shown to significantly improve systolic and diastolic blood pressure, especially among overweight people.
2. Powerful antioxidant - Grape seed extract is known for its amazing antioxidant property due to the presence of proanthocyanidins, phenolic acids, anthocyanins and flavonoids. They all work together in our body to reduce inflammation, prevent oxidative stress, destroy free radicals and protect our healthy cells.
3. Prevent heart diseases - Regular consumption of grape seed extract prevents the accumulation of bad or LDL cholesterol in our body, reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and keeps our heart healthy.
4. Promotes collagen synthesis - Grape seed extract promotes collagen synthesis in our body hence a perk for our bone, joints, hair, skin and nails health as well. This ability makes grape seed a useful asset for arthritic people by reducing inflammation and suppressing bone destruction.
5. Promotes brain health - Being a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, grape seed extract promotes our cognitive health and prevents memory loss. It has been extensively used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease as it contains gallic acid which restricts the formation of amyloid plaques.
6. Reduces cancer risk - The presence of flavonoids and proanthocyanidins make grape seeds effective for reducing cancer. By destroying oxidative damage and foreign pathogens, prevents tumour formation and inhibits certain cancers.
7. Prevents infections - Grape seed extract possesses anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which makes it effective against foodborne bacterial illness, fungal infections, food poisoning and abdominal disturbances.
To conclude, grape seed extract is one of the best sources of antioxidants. Its health benefits range from reducing inflammation, oxidative stress to improving heart and brain health. Grape seed extract supplements are widely available in the market which can be consumed by anyone. In case, the person is on any medications like blood thinners or liver medications then it is better to consult your physician before consuming it. This is recommended to prevent any side effects or nutrient-drug interaction.