Coconut milk is extracted from the pulp of mature coconut. It is creamy having a thick consistency. People generally get confused between coconut water and milk, but it is important to understand that we get coconut milk from its flesh. The water content of coconut milk is less as compared to coconut water.
Coconut milk is rich in calories and fats. It provides fats mainly in the form of saturated fat and medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). When it comes to the nutrient content of coconut milk, it is a good source of various vitamins and minerals like B1, B3, B5, B6, C, iron, selenium, sodium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
Some of the reasons why coconut milk is one of the healthiest options we have around us is.
1. Coconut milk is an alternative dairy-free milk option. Since it is free from lactose therefore excellent for people who are lactose-intolerant or allergic to lactose. Coconut milk is also popularly consumed by vegans.
2. Coconut milk is rich in electrolytes like sodium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus which makes it an ideal beverage to consume after an intense athletic performance. It supports our muscles to recover better, treat muscle cramps and reduce post-exercise muscle soreness.
3. Coconut milk contains fats in the form of MCT. These fats are easily digestible and act as an instant energy source. Studies have shown that MCT present in coconut also helps manage blood cholesterol levels and promotes heart health. Researchers say that even being high in saturated fats, they do not increase the levels of LDL or bad cholesterol in our body.
4. Lauric acid is a lipid that is present in coconut milk. It has been shown to possess anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties and boost our immune health.
5. Coconut milk is a powerful source of antioxidants as well, which protects our body from the damaging and adverse effects of free radicals on our organs.
6. Coconut milk is also good for our digestive health as it provides relief from the symptoms of stomach ulcers and GERD.
7. If you want to keep your skin healthy and beautiful, try coconut milk. This is due to the reason that it cleanses our skin pores and removes dirt from them.
8. Being rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium, coconut milk is also good for our muscles and nerve health.
To summarise, we can see that coconut milk is one of the nutrient-dense beverages. It is easily available in the markets and can be consumed by anyone. Make sure to opt for the low fat and low sugar version. But due to its calorie-dense profile, we should carefully consume coconut milk. In case the person is on a calorie-restricted diet then coconut milk can be consumed in a limited amount as per daily calorie needs.