Epsom salt is not a salt, but a blend of two minerals - magnesium and sulphur. Epsom salt in simpler terms is magnesium sulphate. It is popularly used in gardening, as a beauty and a healing agent. The reason why magnesium and sulphur is used in the formulation is due to the rapid absorbing ability of both the minerals in our skin. Magnesium is critically required for more than 400 enzymatic reactions in the body. One of them is regulating muscle and nerve function, preventing inflammation and keeping our heart healthy. Similarly, sulphate also aids in detoxification, supports better absorption of nutrients and relieves pain.
In this article, we will discuss some of the health benefits of Epsom salt.
1. Relieves Pain and Soreness - One of the popular benefits of Epsom salt is to relieve muscle pain, cramps and soreness. It reduces inflammation, swelling, eases pain and relieves migraine headaches. Due to this potential benefit, many active people and athletes prefer taking a hot bath with some Epsom salt to relax their body and muscles. People suffering from joints pain, gout and rheumatoid arthritis can also use Epsom salt.
2. Reduces Stress - Epsom salt being rich in magnesium is also a remedy for reducing stress and anxiety levels. Magnesium aids in reducing both physical and psychological stress. Magnesium can promote the activity of melatonin, which is a sleep hormone. In addition, it also stimulates the release of certain brain relaxing and nerve-calming neurotransmitters, thereby, minimizing stress.
3. Improves Heart Functioning - Epsom salt has shown to be beneficial for our heart by improving the blood circulation, arterial health and preventing the formation of blood clots. This diminishes the risk of coronary artery diseases and strokes.
4. Aids in Detoxification - Sulphate present in Epsom salt helps in getting rid of harmful toxins by flushing them out from the body. It eliminates toxins from our cells and provides essential minerals across cell membranes.
5. Excellent Exfoliating Agent - An Epsom salt foot soak is beneficial for removing dead skin, corns, splinters and exfoliating the skin. Just take half a cup of salt in hot water and soak your feet for approx. 20 minutes.
To conclude, using Epsom salt in our daily relaxation schedule is one of the easiest and effective options. While using it for hot baths or soaking, one can also add essential oils to enhance the benefits. It should not be used on open cuts, injuries and wounds. Make sure to consult a dermatologist if you already suffer from any skin disease. People suffering from diabetes, heart diseases and renal disorders should also take special care while using it. As stated by the FDA, always opt for a reputed Epsom salt, which is tested safe for human use.