Eucalyptus oil is obtained from a eucalyptus tree and has been used traditionally in many countries like India, China, Greece and Europe. This oil obtained is used to make essential oils and is also used certain antiseptic creams, lotions, pain relievers and dental creams. Eucalyptus oil is obtained after the distillation of leaves which are highly beneficial as they contain certain antioxidants, flavonoids and tannins which are anti-inflammatory.
Let’s understand some of the reasons why eucalyptus oil is so popular since ancient times.
- Relieves cough and congestion - Eucalyptus oil can provide relief from the symptoms of cough and nasal congestion. This is because it has anti-microbial properties and analgesic properties. Some studies have also shown that vapour inhalation on adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil may also help in relieving congestion, sinuses and bronchitis.
- Eucalyptus oil also acts as a decongestant and may help alleviate cough. On rubbing the oil on our chest, this oil loosens the mucus so that it can be easily expelled out of our body.
- Eucalyptus oil is also good for the nourishment of our hair. Massaging the eucalyptus oil along with coconut oil keeps our hair moisturised and prevents dry and itchy scalp. This in turn also stimulates blood circulation and promotes hair growth.
- Eucalyptus oil is also excellent for relieving joints pain due to its excellent anti-inflammatory properties. It is excellent for people suffering from arthritis, osteoarthritis, or a muscle injury. Its cooling sensation not only alleviates discomfort but also provides instant relief on rubbing the oil.
- Eucalyptus oil also helps boost immune health. Some studies have shown eucalyptus oil also boosts the white blood cells to ingest foreign bodies. This ability of eucalyptus oil to promote phagocytic activity makes it excellent for our immune health.
- Eucalyptus oil can be effectively used as an insect or mosquito repellant. Unlike chemical repellants which contain chemicals, eucalyptus oil can be used as a natural sprayer to keep insects, rodents away.
- Stress has become a major part of our life. Rubbing a few drops of eucalyptus oil helps calm our mind, soothe brain nerves and treats headaches. It strong menthol-like aroma helps relieve stress and stimulates both mind and body.
- Eucalyptus oil can also be used to treat cold sores due to its anti-inflammatory property. Just applying one drop of this oil helps ease pain, relieves the tingling and burning sensation, and also speeds up the healing process.
- Eucalyptus oil can also be a great remedy for relieving bad breath. Just add a few drops of this oil in water and gargle with the same. It helps fight bad breath but one should be careful not to swallow the eucalyptus oil.
- It acts as a natural sunscreen and treats skin sunburn. Antibacterial properties of eucalyptus oil also help fight infections and cools down the painful burning sensation.
To conclude, it is a good idea to keep eucalyptus oil at home to enjoy its multiple health benefits. It can easily be included in a daily routine. Before buying Eucalyptus oil, make sure to check the label carefully to opt for an organic, chemical-free and unfiltered product.