Cycling or Biking is an aerobic form of exercise, which works in an outstanding way to improve our cardiovascular health, fitness and overall well-being. Cycling can be taken up as a leisure activity, mode of commuting or a competitive athletic sport. It works beneficially on our physical and psychological health.
Let’s discuss some of the health benefits of cycling.
1. Promotes Weight Loss - Make cycling a habit if you are aiming to lose weight as cycling boosts our metabolic rate. Our body burns more calories at a much rapid rate and helps get rid of stubborn unwanted fat. This aids in both weight loss and management.
2. Strengthens Our Leg Muscles - Cycling is an amazing exercise to strengthen our lower body. Cycling improves our quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes and calves. It aids in toning of these muscles as well.
3. Makes Our Core Strong - Along with leg muscles, cycling works on our core muscles as well. During cycling, one is required to maintain a specific position, which supports our spine, abdominal and back muscles.
4. Boost Mental Health - Cycling reduces our stress and anxiety levels. It causes a decrease in cortisol level hormone, which keeps us healthy and minimizes the likelihood of depression. Cycling is an excellent exercise to boost memory, concentration and stay focussed.
5. Supports Cancer Recovery - Many studies have observed that cycling can form an effective part of the cancer recovery period. Cycling aids in faster recovery from cancer, reduces fatigue levels, prevents cancer and improves the overall quality of life.
6. Reduces Risk of Metabolic Disorders - Cycling prevents bad or LDL cholesterol from rising, improves blood flow, keeps a check on our blood glucose and cholesterol levels, thereby, diminishing the risk of metabolic disorders like diabetes, coronary artery disease and cardiovascular disorders.
To sum up, cycling is a convenient and easy way to stay healthy. In addition, it is environment-friendly and an enjoyable sport, which can be performed by people of all age groups. If you are into high-intensity riding then make sure to take one-day rest in every week for better recovery of your muscles. In case of any injury, ensure to cycle only after complete recovery. Consume a well-balanced nutritious diet as per body needs for bone, joints and muscle health.