Muskmelon is a delicious summer fruit known for its pleasant aroma, sweet and refreshing taste. This bright yellow-orange coloured fruit is packed with nutrients, has high water content and a cooling effect on the body.
Muskmelon seeds and flesh, both have an impressive nutritional profile and numerous health benefits. It contains carbohydrates with a low glycemic index, dietary fibre, vitamin A, C, niacin and minerals like sodium, potassium, folate, calcium and magnesium.
Let’s discuss some of the reasons to include muskmelon in our daily diet.
1. Good for hydration - Muskmelon has high water content due to which helps in maintaining hydration and prevents dehydration. Along with its rich electrolyte profile and high water content, muskmelon is good for all especially athletes and active people to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance of the body and prevent muscle cramps.
2. Boost digestion - Muskmelon is rich in dietary fibre and has a cooling effect on the stomach. Therefore high water and the dietary fibre content of muskmelon keeps our digestive system healthy by preventing issues like constipation, ulcers, etc. In addition, it also keeps us full for long, suppresses hunger hence promotes weight loss.
3. Keeps blood pressure healthy - Muskmelon is rich in potassium which assists in keeping blood pressure in control. The potassium content helps in suppressing the effects of sodium, causes vasodilation and prevents blood pressure from rising.
4. Boost immunity - Muskmelon contains powerful antioxidants in the form of vitamin A, C, beta carotene and phytochemical, all of which boost our immune health by strengthening the functioning of white blood cells, fighting free radicals and oxidative stress.
5. Good for pregnant women - Muskmelon is one of the prescribed fruits for pregnant women by doctors due to its high folate content. Folate is a vitamin that is critically required by pregnant women to prevent birth complications and neural tube defects in the growing foetus.
6. Good for vision health - The presence of plenty of carotenoids like zeaxanthin, and lutein makes muskmelon excellent for our vision health and preventing eye diseases like cataracts and macular degeneration.
7. Anti-Inflammatory - Muskmelon possesses powerful anti-inflammatory properties making it beneficial for people with joint pain, arthritis and osteoarthritis. It also aids in reducing inflammation and muscle soreness caused due to an intense exercise session. Muskmelon should be included in the diet to keep our bones and joints healthy.
8. Keeps our skin healthy - Regular intake of muskmelon is a superb way to get glowing skin. Being rich in antioxidants and vitamins, keeps our skin nourished, hydrated, reduces signs of wrinkles and premature ageing.
To sum up, muskmelon is one of the healthiest fruits around. Since it has low GI therefore good for diabetics as well. It is available in abundance during summers hence must be consumed to combat the heat and enjoy other health benefits. Muskmelon is easy to include in the diet and can be enjoyed in salads, smoothies, sorbet and slush.
- Thakur, Hament & Sharma, Shikha & Thakur, Manisha. (2019). Recent trends in muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.) research: an overview. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology. 94. 10.1080/14620316.2018.1561214..
- Parle, Milind & Singh, Kulwant. (2011). Musk melon is eat-must melon. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2.