Amla, also known as Indian Gooseberry is one of the healthiest fruits. Undoubtedly this superfood is loaded with many nutrients. Its high vitamin C content not only makes amla an excellent antioxidant but also helps boost our immune health.
Let us know some of the reasons to include amla in your daily diet
1. Boosts immune health - Amla possesses anti-bacterial and astringent properties. Since amla is rich in vitamin C, it fights the common cold, coughs, infections and strengthens our blood vessels. So, with this changing weather if you are susceptible to cold and coughs then start consuming amla daily to prevent yourself from falling ill.
2. Promotes skin and hair health - Amla also has an anti-ageing effect on our skin. Being an antioxidant it fights ageing, wrinkles and free radicals. It fights blemishes and pigmentation as well. Consuming amla every day also keeps our hair healthy. It prevents greying of hair, dandruff, promotes blood circulation and nourish our hair.
3. Improves vision - Some studies indicate that carotenoids present in amla improves our vision health and reduces the risk of cataracts, redness, itchiness in the eyes.
4. Helps lose weight - If you are aiming to lose weight then consuming amla or amla juice might support the same. It boosts metabolic rate and also suppresses hunger. Amla also reduces the build-up of LDL or bad cholesterol in our body thereby reducing the danger of cardiovascular disorders.
5. Anti-inflammatory - Amla is also admired for its anti-inflammatory action. It reduces pain in joints arthritis, treats mouth ulcers, reduces the level of acid in our stomach and alleviates inflammation.
6. Promotes digestive health - Amla can also be used to treat digestive issues like constipation, heartburn, stomach ulcers and acidity. Its alkaline nature helps neutralise stomach acid and dietary fibre content treats constipation.
7. Maintains blood sugar levels - Among various nutrients present in amla, the presence of chromium makes it good for maintaining blood sugar levels and stimulate insulin production. This potentiality makes amla a wonder fruit for diabetics as well.
8. Purifies blood - Consuming amla juice daily keeps us hydrated and flushes out toxins from our body. It purifies our blood, increases haemoglobin levels and keeps our liver healthy.
Hence, amla is good for our overall well-being. To reap its benefits, either you can consume raw amla or in the form of juice, pickle and murabba. It has a little sour, sweet and bitter taste. To improve the palatability, you can also add a few drops of lemon and honey to it.