In India, various foods have different names as per their availability in the local region. This blog will talk about the health benefits of Roselle leaves or Gongura in Telugu. Also, widely consumed in India especially in Orissa, Tamil Nadu, northern regions.
Amazing Nutrition Facts:
- An excellent source of iron provides much more iron than spinach.
- It provides many important vitamins and folic acid as well, making it a great pick for everyone, especially anaemic women.
- It is great for heart patients as it is a great source of iron, vitamin B6 which are both needed to lower homocysteine levels and act as anti-hypersensitive (reduce high blood pressure).
- Presence of antioxidants, zinc and vitamin A makes it a perfect choice for providing immunity-boosting benefits.
- Phosphorus is required for maintaining better bone health.
- It is good for liver health due to the presence of antioxidant properties.
- It is great for gut health, helps eradicate digestive issues like acidity, constipation and gastric issues.
Ways to Consume It:
- It can be consumed as a vegetable on its own, but it has a little tangy taste, therefore, it is most often added to various other dishes. For example, added to dal and non-vegetarian curries.
- Also, when cooked with toor dal, it makes a delicacy known as Gongura Pappu.
- It can be eaten along with bhakri, rice or chapati.
Green leafy vegetables are nutrient-dense and should be part of the diet. All the seasonal leafy vegetables locally available in your region should be consumed. Gongura is one such vegetable, and it has more iron than spinach.