UTI or Urinary Tract Infection is a bacterial infection that may occur in any part of our urinary tract. It may affect our bladder, ureter, urethra or may spread to the kidneys. Therefore, it is imperative to never ignore even a mild UTI infection.
Some of the factors which can lead to a UTI infection are -
- Unhygienic sexual activity
- Kidney stones
- Catheter placing
Common signs and symptoms which can indicate the presence of UTI are:
- Frequent urination.
- Burning sensation while passing urine.
- Abdominal pain
- Cloudy or blood-stained urine
Let’s discuss some of the home remedies which might aid in providing relief from UTI.
- Stay hydrated and devour lots of water. This helps flush out toxins and bacteria out from the body.
- Avoid or limit the intake of caffeinated beverages and alcohol.
- Have unsweetened cranberry juice. Although the research is limited, some studies have shown that drinking cranberry juice might alleviate a UTI infection.
- Take vitamin C as some studies also support that increasing vitamin C intake might provide relief from urinary tract infection. It has been thought to kill the bacteria by increasing the acidity of the urine. Therefore, consuming vitamin C rich foods like orange, amla, guava, kiwi, grapefruit might be an effective remedy.
- Probiotics like yoghurt, kefir, tempeh, miso, kimchi, kombucha and miso are known to enhance our gut health. They are good microbes that promote a healthy balance of our gut and might also be effective in treating a UTI.
- Some researchers also say that garlic is not only effective in reducing bad or LDL cholesterol levels but it can also ward off the bacteria that cause a urinary tract infection.
Urinary tract infections are very common and might cause extreme discomfort. If not treated, they may cause serious infections in our bladder and kidney. Seek an expert or doctor’s advice, if there is no ease after trying home remedies.