Black pepper helps to enhance the flavour of the dish along with providing us with various nutrients. The piperine compound in black pepper exhibits therapeutic properties. Black pepper is also known as the king of spices. Black pepper powder is obtained from grinding peppercorns of the plant (Piper nigrum). It helps to add flavour to our food along with providing various health benefits.
Health benefits of black pepper:
1. Benefits for cognitive health: Black pepper consumption has a stimulatory effect on your brain. Its consumption helps people with neurodegenerative diseases while improving cognitive functioning and memory.
2. Helps to improve blood sugar control: It can be consumed by people with type 2 diabetes to control their sugar levels. Black pepper helps to boost digestive health and fight obesity.
3. Helps to lower cholesterol levels: The piperine content in black pepper helps to reduce the bad cholesterol levels and increase the good cholesterol levels in our blood.
4. Cancer-fighting properties: Black pepper has anti-carcinogenic properties which help fight free radical damage. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
5. Helps in the absorption of nutrients: Black pepper increases the absorption of nutrients.
6. Stimulates digestion: Black pepper has a stimulatory effect on our digestive system. Piperine stimulates the secretion of HCL - Hydrochloric acid in our stomach that aids in digestion.
7. Aids in weight loss: Black pepper helps to break down fat cells and boosts your metabolism.
8. Helps to improve skin problems: Black pepper helps to prevent skin pigmentation and acne by dealing with intoxicants.
9. Rich in antioxidants: These antioxidants help to fight free radicals (Free radical cause bodily damage and lead to various health problems). A diet that is rich in antioxidants helps to prevent the damaging effects of free radicals. It contains the compound piperine which has antioxidant effects.
10. Helps to treat cold and coughs: These are the most common respiratory problems that affect us. Black pepper helps to provide relief from nasal congestion as it helps to remove the mucus from our respiratory tract for fast recovery.