Hangover includes fatigue, nausea, dehydration that lasts a few hours and is our body’s reaction to drinking high amounts of alcohol. There is no specific cure for hangover according to research but there are certain food items that help ease the symptoms.
- Bananas: Bananas being rich in potassium helps replenish our body’s electrolytes.
- Eggs: Alcohol decreases glutathione in our body that helps break down toxic by-products of alcohol so eggs consist of cysteine that helps to produce glutathione that improves hangover.
- Watermelon: L-citrulline increases blood flow and watermelons high water content helps to rehydrate the body and cure headaches.
- Pickles: Rich in sodium and help to restore lost electrolyte.
- Crackers: They improve symptoms related to hangover by increasing our blood sugar content as they consist of fast-acting carbs. Low blood sugar is a result of excessive drinking as the liver does not regulate blood sugar levels when it processes alcohol. So in such cases eating carbs that regulate and maintain our blood sugar levels becomes important.
- Nuts: They have a high magnesium content and excessive drinking depletes magnesium in our cells. So eating nuts helps to refill magnesium stores and treat hangover symptoms.
- Spinach: It has a high content of folate and drinking impairs folate absorption. Chronic drinking can also lead to folate deficiency therefore spinach helps to maintain adequate folate levels post-drinking.
- Oranges: It's a good content of Vitamin C that prevents our body from losing glutathione that helps our body to get rid of alcohol from our system.
- Water: As drinking leads to frequent urination that results in increased water loss and dehydration so to replenish the lost fluids it's very important to drink lots of water.
- Coconut water: For recovery and to restore electrolytes in our body.
- Coffee: It helps to become more alert, overcome fatigue and hangover symptoms.
Apart from these Blueberries, oatmeal, chicken noodle soup, asparagus, salmon, ginger, sweet potatoes and tomato juice also help to cure hangover symptoms. These foods make you feel better about post-drinking although the best solution to prevent a hangover is to drink alcohol in moderation or to avoid it. There is no perfect cure for it so try out these foods to help and ease a hangover.