Have you ever felt irritated or frustrated because your stomach is not fine? Or you get more upset stomach more frequently with just feeling sick all the time? Then you need to work on eating healthy for your gut. Your gut is directly related with your brain with constant connection that’s why your emotions affects your eating habits.
Our gut is a home of millions of healthy bacteria which works to keep you healthy and fit. They are known to produce various vitamin and minerals for your body like vitamin B12. Therefore, it is important to keep them healthy as well. Here are a list of foods which keeps your gut healthy:
- Fibre: Human body cannot digest fibre to generate energy like it is done for other forms of carbohydrates but fibre feeds your gut bacterias. These good bacterias utilise fibre as food to get energy and maintain their health. Specifically soluble fibre helps them grow better because of its ability to get fermented by gut bacterias. Therefore, include more of fibre rich food your diet like fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and much more.
- Fermented foods: Food items like curd, idli, buttermilk and others helps in keeping gut healthy by providing probiotics. Probiotics are referred to good micro organisms consumed through food which is thought to have benefits to humans. For example, curd contain Lactobacillus strain bacteria which helps in improving the diversity of healthy bacterias in gut.
- Adequate hydration: Right hydration keeps your body healthy by helping in taking toxins out of the body. Accumulated toxins can damage gut flora and destroy their health. You can start adding drinks like buttermilk, coconut water or lemon water to get the right hydration, probiotic benefits and much required micronutrients and electrolytes.
- Manage your stress: Higher stress levels can make you more prone for emotional eating where you look for comfort food to feel better. These comfort food generally is junk food including ice cream, chips, chocolates, desserts and much more which have no to little fibre or good quality nutrients which degrades the health of gut bacterias. Therefore, include some physical activity like walking, yoga, gym, aerobic exercises or meditation to manage your stress levels.
- Treat your gut allergy: If you keep getting diarrhoea, upset stomach or if you keep popping anti allergic or antibiotic medicines then you need to find out a long term solution. You can maintain a food dairy to find out if you are allergic to any specific food through tracking your symptoms and eating pattern.
Focus on eating healthy and balanced diet to keep your gut healthy to get the maximum benefits.