Pineapple is packed with antioxidants and nutrients that help fight inflammation, boost immunity, aid in digestion and speed up the recovery process. This article focuses on the health benefits of consuming pineapple:
• Pineapple is loaded with vitamins and minerals along with good amounts of vitamin C and manganese.
• It contains antioxidants that help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. Antioxidants help to combat oxidative stress which is defined by too many free radicals in the body. When free radicals interact with the body’s cells it causes damage linked to a weakened immune system and chronic inflammation.
• Bromelain (a group of digestive enzymes) is present in pineapple that helps break down proteins. It stimulates cell death in certain kinds of cancer cells and also aids in white blood cell function. The compounds present in pineapple help to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress linked to cancer.
• Consumption of pineapple is linked to a better immune system and helps suppress inflammation as it has great anti-inflammatory properties.
• Most cases of arthritis involve the inflammation of the joints, and the presence of bromelain in pineapple provides pain relief and relieves symptoms of arthritis.
• Pineapple is very easy to incorporate in your daily diet as it makes up for a great breakfast, salad, lunch, dinner and dessert option.
• The anti-inflammatory properties of bromelain help in recovery post a strenuous workout by reducing tissue inflammation. Strenuous workouts can damage muscle tissue and cause inflammation which results in soreness of affected muscles for days. Bromelain speeds up the recovery process of the damage caused by strenuous workouts by reducing inflammation around the damaged muscle tissue. Therefore bromelain helps to reduce swelling, bruising, inflammation and pain that occurs post-surgery.