Follow these nutrition tips regularly to build a healthy immune system:
• Avoid eating outside food: It reduces the rate of contact with people and lowers the risk of one being exposed to the virus. Maintain a minimum distance of 1 metre, avoid crowded places and be aware of people who are coughing or sneezing.
• Limit sugar intake: As per WHO recommendation 5% of total energy intake should come from free sugar for adults. So, to achieve this number switch to fresh fruits as frozen, canned and fruit syrups contain added sugar. Choose options low in sugar and keep a check on portion size.
• Eat unprocessed foods: Include nuts, whole grains, eggs, milk, oats, brown rice, millets, fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes in your diet. Daily eat 4 servings of fruit and 5 servings of vegetables along with 160g of beans or meat and consume poultry 2-3 times/week. Choose fruits and vegetables as a snacking option. And do not overcook them as it will lead to loss of its important vitamins.
• Water: It is very essential as it transports various nutrients in our blood, and gets rid of waste matter, also helps to regulate our body temperature and cushions our joints. Keep a target of drinking up to 8-10 glasses of water per day. It is best to consume water and flavour it with fruits and vegetables. Avoid sweetened juices and drinks that contain added sugar.
• Limit salt intake: When the availability of fresh food decreases, the consumption of canned, frozen and processed foods increases (these are high in salt content, therefore should be consumed in a controlled manner). As per the recommendation of WHO one should consume less than 5 grams of salt per day.
• Limit fat intake: As per WHO recommendation total fat intake should be less than 30% of total energy intake of which saturated fat percentage should be less than 10%.To achieve this number, switch your cooking methods to grilling and steaming. Also, use small amounts of unsaturated oils like olive oil. Limit the intake of saturated fats like full-fat dairy, palm oil, lard, etc.
• Limit alcohol: It weakens our immune system and also increases toxicity levels in our body.