• Spirulina (a type of cyanobacteria) grows in fresh water and salt has a very powerful nutrition profile. It is known as the blue-green algae which is a family of single-celled microbes and also one of the most nutrient-dense foods.
• One spoon (7 g) of dried Spirulina powder provides you with 20 calories, 1.7 g of digestible carbohydrates, 4g protein, 1g of fat (omega 3 and omega 6 in a ratio of 1.5-1.0), 11% Vitamin B1, 15% Vitamin B2, 4% Niacin, 21% copper and 11% iron. It also consists of small amounts of manganese, potassium and magnesium.
• The protein content of Spirulina is considered to be one of the best as it provides you with all the essential amino acids. It helps to prevent oxidative damage that harms our cells because of its powerful antioxidant properties.
• It contains an active component called phycocyanin which contributes to its antioxidant profile and gives it the blue-green colour. Spirulina has Phycocyanin as its main active compound that has free-radical fighting properties and inhibits inflammatory molecules.
• Spirulina helps to lower LDL and total cholesterol while raising HDL levels. Its amazing antioxidant profile is directly related to lowering lipid peroxidation. It also has cancer-fighting properties and its consumption has been proven to be very effective for OSMF i.e. precancerous lesion of the mouth.
• 4.5g of Spirulina reduces blood pressure as it raises the levels of nitric oxide that helps your blood vessels to dilate and relax. Spirulina supplements have been used to fight against allergic rhinitis and they also help to combat various symptoms. It increases muscle strength and endurance. Its antioxidants help athletes minimise exercise-induced oxidative damage.
• Spirulina benefits people suffering from type 2 diabetes as it helps to lower the blood sugar levels upon its consumption. 2g of Spirulina per day can lead to drastic improvements in one's blood sugar levels.
So it not only benefits the body but the brain too and thus one should include this nutrient-rich food in your daily diet and enjoy its benefits.