Carom or Ajwain seeds have been a part of many delicious recipes in Indian cuisine since ages. Even though Carom seeds have a bitter or pungent taste, they come with a strong aromatic flavour. Apart from imparting flavour to food, carom seeds also provide several health benefits. They are beneficial for maintaining digestive health, promotes weight loss, eases inflammation, prevents premature greying of hair and heal wounds.
Carom seeds boast an amazing nutrient profile as they contain dietary fibre, antioxidants, and minerals like calcium, potassium, sodium, phosphorus, thiamine, niacin and iron. It is easy to include carom seeds in our diet to enjoy their health benefits. We can chew them raw or can also be used in tadka, gravies, pickles, seasonings, herbal teas, or sprinkled in dough while making chapatis or bread, and toasts.
Mentioned below are some of the reasons why Carom seeds are good for our health.
- Improves Digestion - Carom or ajwain seeds are excellent to relieve acidity or indigestion. They promote the secretion of certain digestive enzymes which facilitates better digestion and absorption of food. A cup of Ajwain water is recommended in case of any digestive issues. It is the reason why ajwain water is also considered a boon for pregnant and lactating women who often experience gastric problems.
- Relieves Cold and Cough - Carom seeds helps in providing relief from nasal blockages by easing the discharge of mucus. They are often used during asthma or bronchitis. Hence, people who are more prone to falling ill with a cold, or from changes in the weather conditions, etc. should include ajwain seeds in their diet.
- Helps in Getting Rid of Kidney Stones - Carom seeds are known to be effective in treating kidney stones. Consuming ajwain water with honey or vinegar for 2-3 weeks dissolves kidney stones and helps get rid of them.
- Eases Inflammation - Ajwain seeds are antibiotic and anaesthetic. They help reduce inflammation, redness, pain and swelling. This property makes them lucrative for people with joint pain and arthritis. Either apply carom seeds paste or soak in a tub of lukewarm water with carom seeds.
- Promotes Wound Healing - Carom seeds contain an antiseptic compound called Thymol which promotes wound healing. So, next time try applying carom seeds paste in case of any injury.
- Prevents Premature Greying - Ajwain seeds also favours good hair health by preventing the greying of hair. A glass of carom seeds water is recommended per day to keep your hair healthy.
To conclude, ajwain is one of the major spices which is used widely in a variety of dishes. If consumed in moderation, they can be useful for weight loss, promoting digestive health, reducing pain, inflammation, heartburn, etc. Avoid over-consumption of carom seeds to prevent issues like nausea, stomach ulcers, etc. Ajwain is easily available everywhere and can be used in multiple ways in our diet.