We can include our native locally grown foods in our diet in various ways. It all depends upon our cultural pattern, how we consume it. Now, we commonly consume these fruits in ripened form, i.e. papaya, banana and jackfruit. However, these fruits can also be eaten in the form of salads, vegetables, etc. and have similar nutrition profiles compared to the ripened version with little variance in carb content.
- The unripe papaya is enjoyed in many Asian countries. It is a great source of important nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients known to provide various health benefits. The main compound papain is believed to offer various health benefits.
- It offers relief from constipation issues and acts as a digestive aid due to the presence of digestive enzymes.
- Treats infections - It has antibacterial properties to fight against bacterias such as staphylococcus aureus, E. coli, etc.
- It helps scavenge free radicals and help improve immunity as well.
- Help reduce menstrual pain and induce menstruation in women due to the presence of anti-inflammatory flavonoids in papaya.
- Bananas are incredibly important to be included in our diet. They are rich in many essential vitamins and minerals.
- Green banana is higher in starch, which is great for your gut health as it has prebiotic properties.
- It is a good source of pectin, a type of dietary fibre found in fruits and vegetables. The advantage of an overripe banana is the presence of pectin.
- Good source of vitamin B6, potassium and vitamin C.
- Can be eaten in the form of vegetable or cooked with condiments, also is a good option for losing weight as well.
- Jackfruit or kathal is a gourmet vegetable, also called “gach-patha” in Bengal. It’s primarily a healthy carbohydrate, as it is loaded with fibre.
- It should be part of your diet, can be eaten along with vegetables, or rotis or even on its own.
- It is low on glycemic load and therefore can be consumed by diabetics as well.
- It helps reduce cholesterol levels, due to the presence of soluble fibre.
- It can be a part of your weight loss plan, as it provides a better satiety feeling.
To summarise, these super-fruits should be included in the diet as a part of their diet.