Food cravings are uncontrollable intense desires for a specific kind of food and it is usually stronger than normal hunger. Cravings are very common and almost everyone experiences them on a regular basis. They play a major role in our food addiction, binge eating and weight gain. So being aware of our cravings helps us to eat healthily. Cravings are a problem in one's weight loss journey so follow the below-mentioned tips to prevent and stop these cravings of sugar and unhealthy foods.
Foods that will help you fight your sugar cravings:
- Dark chocolate
- Chia seeds
- Prunes (Dried plums)
- Fermented foods
- Whole grains
Ways to control cravings for junk food items :
• Mindful Eating: This builds a relationship between eating and what food we eat as it develops awareness about emotions, hunger, cravings, physical sensations and eating habits. It helps us to find out if we are feeling hungry or craving something. It helps us to choose our response rather than acting impulsively.
• Avoid being hungry: Follow a good healthy eating schedule as being too hungry and skipping meals increases cravings.
• Water: It reduces appetite and cravings, helps to lose weight and most of the time people confuse thirst with cravings or hunger.
• Sleep: Our appetite is affected by our hormones and sleep deprivation leads to poor appetite regulation and increased cravings. So good sleep is very important to prevent cravings.
• Eating good proper meals: Lack of nutrients causes cravings so eating your meals at proper times nourishes your body and prevents extreme hunger. Whole foods, nuts, veggies, fruits and seeds should be included as they prevent cravings.
• Protein: prevents overeating as it keeps you full for a longer period of time and prevents cravings.
• Meal planning: This eliminates all the unwanted foods from your diet and prevents cravings.